Saturday, November 7, 2015

Movie 22 - Intense Battle! Robo Dad Strikes Back [BD]

(Please bare with me on the initial seeding. Using only my home connection.)

And it's out! Our first release! A hilarious, yet touching family movie that I hope you all enjoy!

I started working on this movie sometime in August. I knew Shin-chan was largely unsubbed, so I thought I would take a stab at subbing -something- of it. The TV series is extremely daunting, so I decided to go with a movie instead. The majority of the films actually have been subbed, with varying degrees of quality, but the newest one hadn't been touched yet. Looking at the staff credits, I saw that the script was written by Kazuki Nakashima, the mind behind Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann. With that name alone, I decided to tackle this film.

After I finished translating and timing the movie, I was lucky enough to get convexity to check over it over. He helped a ton with all the puns, jokes and references -- the toughest part in trying to translate this series. I then asked Collectr, one to never overlook something unsubbed, if he would be willing to edit. Of course he accepted! I tried to look for a typesetter, but couldn't find anyone that would work on Shin-chan, so I did it myself. Thus some signs are typesetted, while the more complicated ones are just \an8'd. Quality checking is usually where movies can stall for a long time; however, Calyrica, bananadoyouwanna, and Matze149 all came through for me and helped out in this department.

I want to thank all of them for their help.

Are we doing more? Of course! I'll be making a blog post in a bit talking about what we're working on, and where I need some help. But, yes, we are working on Movie 23. I am looking for a translation checker for things besides Movie 23 though! I'm also looking for any HDTV raws of the TV series. I only have a handful of them, but I know more exist.


Translation notes for this release follow after the break, but be aware there are some very mild spoilers.



Translation Notes:
We included no note within the actual release -- trying our best to translate things in a way where they are not needed. However, some references that would be obvious to the Japanese audience simply isn't for an international one. For this reason, we've provided the notes below.
  • Kuntam
    • We decided to go with Kuntam, over the simply romanized Kantam, for Shin's favorite robot. The name is a pun on Gundam. In Japanese, it's overly apparent: ガンダム (Gundam) vs カンタム (Kuntam).
  • 00:07:21 - "Their depression feels like a social disease."
  • 00:09:26 - "Now even I feel like I have a social disease."
  • 00:09:30 - "Idiot! You mean a local disease!"
    • In the original Japanese, Shin mistakes the word "陰気" (inki, depression) for "インキン" (inkin, jock itch).  You can see they only differ by the single syllable "n" at the end. We tried to translate this by changing his confusion to the difference between a social and local disease.
  • 00:32:38 - "H20."
    • A reference to the song "Full of Memories" by H20, which was used as the first ending song for Miyuki (which Collectr, convex, and I worked on for FroZen-Evil!). It mentions climbing the stairs of adulthood in its chorus.
  • 00:58:06 - "I'm a copy?"
  • 00:58:08 - "Are you from Fashion Check?"
  • 00:58:10 - "No, that's Piko."
    • Here, Shin confuses the word "copy" by turning the syllables around to "Piko," the host of the show "Fashion Check."
  • 01:21:30 - Itsuki Hiroshi
    • A famous pop/enka singer. Tekkenji sings his famous song "Chigiri" during this battle.
  • 01:21:50 - Korokke
    • Most likely a reference to the anime Korokke as the robot has similar purple hair.
    • Also possibly a reference to Ganma's voice actor who is also known simply as Korokke.
  • 01:24:35 - "It's no joke!"

4 comments:

  1. Can you please provide the srt subtitle file separately?
    I have the standard mp4 version with me, unsubbed. The torrent file is too large to download.
    I'd be grateful if you can provide the subtitle file.
    Also, I'm eagerly waiting for the subs for 23rd movie.
    P.S. You can add to this website too: http://kitsunekko.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.sendspace.com/file/k3bn8d

      There's the .ASS file. Most of the typesetting is stored at the bottom.

      I don't have an .SRT.

      Delete
  2. Thank You so much for subtitling. The subs are really very good.
    Even the songs were very nicely translated.
    Btw, if you find it difficult to translate Japanese puns (like "inkin"), then it's better to mention the original pun and place a translation note at the top or beside. Many subbers use this translation note thing with regards to Japanese puns. Since we all know that the movie is in Japanese, there should be no problem in mentioning notes.

    Which other Crayon Shin-chan Movies are you working on apart from Movie 23?
    (If you have a raw version of Movie 23, please add it to Nyaa. I can't wait.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You so much for subtitling.

    ReplyDelete